This role is responsible for improving asset reliability, and work force productivity, through the implementation of a Reliability and Asset Management best practice model. The reliability engineer/specialist will lead the effort to standardize and implement reliability programs focused on the overall life cycle cost of the assets. The reliability engineer/specialist is focused on the life cycle cost of assets, and leads the efforts directed at reliable and maintainable asset management processes. All opportunities to pro-actively improve asset reliability and maintenance practices to increase plant productivity, improve through put performance, and reduce total cost of operation/ownership will be captured while complying with, and enhancing, EHS standards. Steel Manufacturing is an extremely asset intensive business. This key position is required to reduce these costs, and improve associate utilization. The reliability engineer/specialist position plays an essential role in efficiently utilizing and managing our maintenance and contractor workforces, and improving our asset reliability. The reliability engineer/specialist works across all plant boundaries to establish standard practices in dealing with these asset reliability best practice techniques
- Leads teams to develop ideas directed at optimized asset performance, and the implementation of the reliability road map including, but not limited to asset standardization, qualifications for internal/external repairs, asset specifications, replacement strategies, criticality assessment process, elimination of repeat asset failures, and lowering Total Lifecycle Costs.
- Analyzes complex data with multiple goals: monitoring current processes, development of new KPIs, data mining for continuous improvement opportunities, cost/benefit analysis of future projects/process implementations. Assimilates data from multiple databases and formats to accomplish this task. Various analysis techniques required for example: SPS, Weilbull, Six Sigma, RCA, NPV, FMEA, etc. There may also be times when needed data is not collected, which would require development of the appropriate collection system.
- Champions recommendation of projects brought to light during analysis. Projects may be local to a specific area/asset or business wide process implementations. Leads the implementation of these projects.
- Promote Reliability Practices across the business. Consult publications and professional societies to identify, develop and maintain key metrics that measure the effectiveness of the maintenance business processes, developing methods of data collection where appropriate. Develop and lead plans to improve performance in areas where the metrics lag from Best Practices and Bench marks (as identified by research).
- Develop systems, formulas, and processes around Asset Critical Inventory strategies including stocking levels, usage rates, internal/external stocking practices, and point of use versus central storeroom locations.
- Lead the implementation of improvement plans via project management with cross functional team from various departments: safety, purchasing, maintenance, production, finance, etc.
- Lead processes to improve the structured work identification processes for reliability advancement process. This process can involve use of Maintenance Task Assessment process, Planning and Scheduling, Outage Management, and/or use of the Preventative Maintenance module of the Maximo software package. This should also include review of changing operating conditions and optimization of Mean Time Between Failure evaluations.
- Bachelor's degree in a business or manufacturing related field with at least 7 years’ demonstrated experience in implementing or maintaining reliability best practice programs.
- Experience in PM and Pdm program administration
- Experience in Daily Planning and scheduling process and the outage management process
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology with at least 12 years’ experience in the following:
- Industrial maintenance with exposure to a union environment.
- Heavy industrial reliability with exposure to condition-based monitoring, work identification and asset criticality analysis
- Root Cause Failure Analysis on heavy industrial or steel making equipment.
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
- Facilitation of MTA, RCM or FMEA
- Reading and understanding engineered drawings