Sappi North America is a division of Sappi Limited, a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with manufacturing operations on four continents in nine countries with sales offices in 50 countries. The Cloquet Mill, located on the banks of the St. Louis River, produces some of the highest quality heavyweight web and sheet fed products in the world. The original mill opened in 1898 and has undergone a variety of changes and improvements over the years, most-recently (2013) to convert the pulp mill into a producer of Verve, a dissolving wood pulp used primarily for the textile markets. With the conversion, the pulp mill is now able to swing between dissolving wood pulp and Kraft pulp based on market needs. With a focus on responsible and sustainable operations, the Cloquet Mill is focused on energy savings improvements which have led to local, state, and national environmental recognition.
Position (job title): Maintenance Manager
This position offers the opportunity to work and grow in a vibrant, forward thinking mill with a team of highly-skilled, dedicated employees. The person in this role is integral to the overall success of the mill and, as such, is a key member of the management team. In this role you will:
- Provide leadership to develop the performance plan and manage the Maintenance Department activities throughout the Pulp and Paper mill including Paper Manufacturing, Coating, Converting, Pulp Mill, Utilities and Recovery, Wood Yard, Wood Room, Pulp Dryer, Mobile Equipment and Buildings and Grounds.
- Ensure the necessary decisions are made at the appropriate level to meet the plan which establishes the area’s safety, environmental, quality, production, and cost goals.
- As a member of the MLT, the manager will also participate in establishing mill goals as well as the development of personnel in their area to run an effective operation with minimal intervention.
- Develop and lead personnel in reliability-focused maintenance activities utilizing best-in-class maintenance procedures and practices.
- Develop and lead personnel and business processes for the Maintenance Department to fully support pulp and paper production.
- Direct targeted cost improvement strategies and develop budgets that minimize costs while ensuring results and develop forward-looking plans to facilitate capital and operating improvements with a mill-wide perspective.
- Lead and coach personnel on making safe and environmentally sound operating, technical and maintenance decisions and plans to achieve defined mill performance measures.
- Fully support pulp and paper production goals through the control of performance measures and the achievement of availability targets.
- Develop a business plan which enumerates operational, technical, and maintenance strategies and targets for each area of the business. Lead teams, staff, and supervisors to meet this plan and track progress towards this goal.
- Develop forward-looking plans to achieve long term strategies through capital and operational optimization.
- Provide supervision and coaching for staff, teams, and supervisors to ensure that capital and operational budgets are developed and managed to minimize operational upset while controlling costs to target.
- Coordinate department activities on a mill-wide basis to ensure that resources are allocated correctly to achieve mill performance goals.
- Communicate expectations to staff, supervisors, and teams and hold them accountable for meeting these expectations.
- Provide supervision and coaching to supervisors and staff to promote the development of effective operating teams.
- Work cooperatively with the other managers and operating superintendents to develop common daily and weekly operating priorities. Assign resources and track progress to ensure successful completion of these priorities.
- Communicate the progress of teams towards achieving area business goals.
- Develop succession plans and work with staff to develop their management and communication skills.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemical, Paper Science, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent. Technical background and experience with the Kraft Recovery Cycle, related chemical processing equipment and/or Paper Manufacturing processes and equipment. A minimum of 5 years experience and demonstrated performance in supervision of personnel and / or project work.
Salary is determined by a number of factors including the value of the job to the organization, market forces, internal equity and skills brought to the job.
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.