Manager - Maintenance Reliability
Located in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The Reliability Manager position is responsible for being a key leader on the Maintenance and Reliability management team. This position will lead a team of central Reliability Engineers and Assigned Divisional Reliability Supervisors and will work with Department Supervisors and Managers to implement the Algoma Reliability model, drive the improvement of plant reliability and champion the asset health improvement plans and defect detection and elimination process. This position is responsible for the implementation and management of Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and the application of Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA). The Reliability Manager will apply knowledge and experience to ensure continuous improvement to optimize the company’s physical assets and Maintenance and Reliability processes and strategies. The candidate will be directly involved in the continued implementation and leadership of a progressive and integrated Reliability Centered Maintenance and Equipment Reliability Improvement process in a large manufacturing facility.
- Identification, development, implementation and monitoring of plant wide maintenance standards, work flows and procedures focusing on the elimination of non-value added maintenance strategies.
- Lead and develop the Reliability Team ensuring that Reliability Engineering talent is built, developed and maintained.
- Governance of the site Asset Health Evaluation process (equipment listing, asset hierarchy governance, asset criticality, maintenance strategies, etc).
- Evaluate failure data and makes recommendations for adjustment to equipment maintenance strategies that optimize maintenance
- Provide Leadership for Reliability across the organization through performing audits, monitoring performance and reliability KPIs for critical assets, providing feedback and monitoring progress on corrective and preventive action.
- Support the Maintenance Managers and Process Managers through prioritization of Reliability Excellence activities for the site.
- Identify and prioritize Reliability Excellence value creation opportunities for the site and business. Owns the Bad Actor identification, quantification and elimination process for the site. Champion Maintenance & Reliability RCA/RCMs through facilitation, participation and execution of identified items. Create and apply reliability standards / CMOs
- Champion implementation of new technologies to provide smart maintenance platform, IOTs, computer assisted asset monitoring, advanced analytics, etc. across the organization.
- Champion of site asset health improvement and production process stability. Drives consistent application of RCMs / RCAs and ensures consistent follow up.
- Provide process and technical support for the maintenance planners and reliability coordinators on maintenance effectiveness. Evaluation of critical spares and interfaces with site storerooms
- Interfaces directly with the project engineering team on reliability build deliverables to ensure reliability principles are applied on projects on site. Work with Engineering and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to develop equipment reliability standards. Support build projects through reliability consulting and providing the reliability deliverables to projects
- Lead Reliability Excellence activities and initiatives. Conducts Reliability Excellence sustainability assessments and follow up actions. Share / implement Reliability Excellence best practices across the site and region
Core Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or other engineering discipline that has a strong foundation in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, mass/material balance and process design
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in production, maintenance, or project management. Certified Maintenance Reliability Profession (CMRP) certification is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years direct or indirect supervisor experience
- Training and knowledge of predictive maintenance technologies (vibration, infrared, ultrasound, tribology, etc.) Training and knowledge of management of the proactive maintenance model. Demonstrated strong problem-solving and analytical skills . Able to identify and implement detailed solutions to complex technical problems. Demonstrated execution capacity
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others Ability to adapt and learn in a changing work environment. Ability to manage multiple priorities Microsoft Office Suite experience Ability to work independently and within a team environment. Ability to promote and work within an inclusive environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both verbal and written within multiple levels of the organization Ability to balance and achieve positive results in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, cost and employee relations.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to travel as needed
Algoma offers a competitive salary including performance bonuses, a comprehensive benefit package, and a defined contribution pension plan.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.