Under the administrative direction of the Director-Production, provides departmental vision and leadership pertaining to the maintenance of WaterOne’s facilities and equipment. Plans, directs and manages all aspects of the Maintenance Shops including maintaining the facilities and equipment in the best condition possible at the lowest possible cost. Helps provide WaterOne employees with operable facilities and equipment that allow them to efficiently and safely perform their job duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Coordinates and oversees the organization, staffing, and operational activities for installation, maintenance, and repair of all WaterOne facilities and systems, excluding vehicle fleet, by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of assigned employees to ensure application of safe, efficient, and effective principles, practices, and procedures.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; recommend and implement resulting policies and procedures. Identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures including reliability centered maintenance; identifies resource needs; reviews with appropriate management staff; implements improvements.
- Plans, organizes, and directs a preventive and predictive maintenance program and the repair of facility equipment and systems. Develops schedules and work standards in accordance with industry standards and best practices; monitors work flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures. Coordinates the development and administration of assigned budget; forecasts funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors expenditures; recommends adjustments as necessary.
- Selects, trains, motivates, supports, and evaluates maintenance personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; prepares performance evaluations; participates in employment actions such as hiring, disciplining and recommending separation of personnel in the department.
- Establishes performance standards for maintenance personnel based on quantity and quality of work, evaluates and verifies performance in comparison to expectations, and provides regular feedback.
- Performs or oversees other leadership and administrative duties such as time approval, ensuring that complete and accurate work orders and maintenance records are created and maintained, and other recordkeeping tasks.
- Assists Facilities Engineering in developing the asset management program, upgrading existing equipment and facilities and designing new systems.
- Keeps up with industry standards and changing technology pertaining to equipment and systems.
- Directs and participates in the development, negotiation and administration of contract services; monitors the work of contractors and implements appropriate changes.
- Prepares various reports and action item summaries to management and Board as required.
- Directs the implementation of training programs for department staff on maintenance of WaterOne facilities and equipment.
- Serves as a department SAP subject matter expert with the Plant Maintenance module. Duties include maintenance of the Plant Maintenance databases, work order systems, key performance indicator (KPI) reporting, and report generation. Provides support to other employees who use the Plant Maintenance module and other associated applications.
- Responds to customer complaints using established procedures and protocol.
- Coordinates and manages Department activities related to security and emergency response.
- Perform all duties pertaining to hazardous waste operations in accordance with all applicable requirements.
- Performs other job duties as required.
Customer Service Commitment
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible, but no later than the next business day. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.
These key core competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
- Communicates Effectively – Demonstrates ability to listen and express oneself effectively and shares information as appropriate for the position needed to perform the job effectively.
- Conscientiousness – Expresses the motivation to perform one's job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of honesty and integrity.
- Customer Focus – Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both internal and external customers and builds collaborative relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Demonstrates the ability to effectively coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by maintaining flexibility and open mindedness.
- Problem Solving/Drive for Results – Demonstrates the ability to find solutions to complex problems and consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
In addition to the core competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Creating a Positive Work Environment – Treats people with respect, encourages teamwork, and expresses confidence in people's ability to master their roles.
- Decision Making and Judgement – Displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement.
- Influencing Others – Influences others to be excited and committed to furthering the organization’s objectives.
- Planning and Organizing – Coordinates ideas and resources to achieve goals in daily tasks.
- Safety and Security Focus – Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
- System- Specific Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of systems used for job-specific functions.
In addition to the core and position competencies, these supervisor competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments, complete tasks, manage performance, and appropriate project management.
- Strategic Mindset - Understands the business by using a strategic and global perspective to make complex decisions, explore innovative solutions, and build networks to make the big picture attainable.
- Developing Other - Develops people to meet both their career and the organization's goals while creating trust and a positive work environment.
Required Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Science and Management, Business, Engineering or comparable degree from an accredited institution.
- Six (6) years of experience in the Facilities Maintenance field with specific experience in the maintenance of electrical equipment, instrumentation, or mechanical equipment.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience in the facilities maintenance field, preferably with a water utility or similar entity.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including work planning, goal setting, establishing standards for the quantity and quality of work produced, and measuring outcomes.
- Ability to plan, train, direct and evaluate a large and diverse work group.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Must have high standards for quality and quantity of work produced, exercise good judgment and be creative and open to new ideas.
- Ability to provide impartial supervision and treatment of employees.
- Must have strong management, organizational, oral and written communication, and listening skills.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of the assignment to the degree necessary to effectively manage and accomplish established objectives.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and practices required to meet the needs of water treatment, pumping, and pipelines for WaterOne’s utility infrastructure.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, and equipment used in the mechanical, electrical, and electronic maintenance and repair of water treatment, storage and distribution facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical principles related to the design, installation and maintenance of complex water treatment and distribution systems.
- Ability to review and interpret plans and specifications for maintenance implications.
- Ability to interpret and apply pertinent Federal, State, and local policies, laws and regulations and determine applicability to maintenance and repair actions and/or department operations.
- Must exercise good judgment and concern for worker and workplace safety. Must have a broad knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices.
- Must have experience with or have the ability to learn and apply all applicable requirements pertaining to hazardous waste operations.
- Must have strong PC skills including experience with project management, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and e-mail software. Must be able to learn and use WaterOne software programs. Must have strong knowledge of or the ability to learn SCADA and computer control systems. Experience with enterprise resource planning software such as SAP preferred. The ability to learn and develop expertise in the Plant Maintenance module in SAP is required.
- Must have a cooperative attitude and exhibit diplomacy and judgment when working with the public, fellow employees, developers, contractors, or other public officials.
- Must present professional image.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must be reachable in the event of emergencies or non-routine situations, and be available for occasional emergency call-out.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including background verification and drug screen (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Active participation in maintenance organizations, such as SMRP (Society of Maintenance Reliability Professionals) or similar.
- A post-graduate degree in Engineering or Business Administration.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning software, such as SAP.
- Maintenance planning experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/move equipment, tools and other items weighing up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for multiple hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. The employee must be in possession of a licenses and be able to operate a vehicle at any given time. The employee must be able to ascend and descend ladders to assess equipment. The employee must be able to distinguish colors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both the field and a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except when in the field on a jobsite