This position is responsible for outdoor maintenance of brick surface, quarter-mile long, pedestrian outdoor shopping mall. In addition this position is responsible for ensuring safety and security for pedestrians/users.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform daily outdoor cleaning, sweeping, repair and maintenance of the Church Street Marketplace, including but not limited to, brick surfaces, concrete, slate and granite.
- Perform gate opening and closing duties of the Marketplace on a timely basis.
- Assure marketplace security by reporting unusual events to supervisor.
- Empty and clean trash containers; prepare trash for removal from property by outside garbage contractors.
- Maintain, repair and preserve appearance of various amenities, including but not limited to, benches, trash receptacles, light poles, etc.
- Install and remove seasonal event and marketing banners, advertisements, flags, and holiday decorations as directed.
- Perform tasks associated with set-up, breakdown, and operation of special events.
- Maintain sanitary Marketplace fountains by controlling pH balance, routine cleaning, pressure washing and brushing, etc.
- Operate, inspect, and perform basic maintenance on mechanical equipment, including but not limited to, tractors, boom lift, sweepers, blowers, various snow removal equipment, etc.
- Clean and unplug catch basin drains as needed.
- Ensure garden beds are kept clean and neat by removing debris and perform basic pruning and branch removal as needed.
- Remove snow and ice from walkways using manual and mechanical equipment.
- Maintain maintenance/cleaning supplies and storage area, including but not limited to, painting supplies, grounds tools, and seasonal chemicals and products, etc.
- Replace lighting bulbs and filaments as needed.
- Interact favorably with the general public and all Marketplace users at all times.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High school Diploma or Equivalent and one (1) year of previous experience in maintenance or related field required.
- Ability to operate mechanical and manual equipment, such as, tractors, boom lifts, sweepers, blowers and various snow removal equipment required.
- Outdoor maintenance and general construction/trades experience preferred.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions required.
- Must be a flexible team player that takes direction well, is safety conscious, customer-oriented, and willing and able to learn to operate all equipment and perform all tasks as assigned.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions required.
- Ability to work without close supervision required.
- Must have proven ability to be entrusted with keys to City buildings, offices, facilities, and tools and equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License or ability to obtain and maintain a Vermont State Driver’s License preferred.
- Ability to interact favorably with the general public, vendors, fee-payers and retail owners and staff at all times required.
- Ability to work weekend, night and holiday shifts as needed.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.